California’s Lifeline Program Could Provide You With FREE Phone Service
The California LifeLine Program (California LifeLine) is a state program that provides discounted home phone and cell phone services to eligible households. The California LifeLine discounts help consumers lower the cost of their phone bills. Only one discount per household is allowed (except for teletypewriter users and for Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program participants). Each household must choose to get the discount either on a home phone or on a cell phone, but not on both.
Discounted residential telephone services available to California LifeLine participants may include the following:
- Monthly flat rate service discount = up to $14.30*
- Monthly measured rate service discount = up to $14.30*
- Service connection discount = up to $39
- Service conversion discount for home phone services = up to $39
- Exempt from paying the public purpose program surcharges, CPUC’s user fee, federal excise tax, local franchise taxes, and State 911 tax associated with their telephone service.
- Discounts on two telephone lines for teletypewriter (TTY) users and Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program participants are allowed. The person who uses a TTY must have immediate and continuous access to it. If the Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program did not give the TTY, a COPY of a medical certificate indicating the person’s need for a TTY is required to receive the discount on the second home phone line.
Start Your Application Today!
Online at www.californialifeline.com/en/login OR
Call 1-866-272-0349 (Monday - Friday, 7 am. - 7 p.m.).
Two Ways to Qualify
1. Program-Based Qualification Method:
You can qualify for California LifeLine if you or another person in your household is enrolled in any one of these qualifying public assistance programs:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- CalFresh, Food Stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
- National School Lunch Program (NSL)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- 1. California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
- 2. Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKs)
- 3. Welfare-to-Work (WTW)
- 4. Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)
- Tribal TANF
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Federal Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit Program
2) Income-Based Qualification Method:
- You can qualify for California LifeLine if your household's total annual gross income is at or less than these annual income limits:
- * Effective June 1, 2018 to May 31, 2019
Documentation is required to show your household’s total annual gross income meets the annual income limits if you are qualifying by Income-Based. A household’s total annual gross income consists of money received BEFORE TAXES by everyone in your household (adults and children), from whatever source derived, whether taxable or non-taxable, including, but not limited to: wages, salaries, interest, dividends, alimony and child support, grants, gifts, allowances, stipends, lottery winnings, inheritances, worker’s compensation, unemployment and public assistance benefits, social security payments, pensions, rental income, income from self-employment, and cash payments from other sources, and all employment-related, non-cash income.
*Does not account for Extended Area Service rates, which provides a higher level of support.
**For cell phone plans with at least 1,000 voice minutes, which may include domestic messaging or text, the monthly discount is $14.30.