The Assembly Select Committee on the Status of Boys and Men of Color is holding an informational hearing on:

Identifying the Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
Post Traumatic “street” Disorder in Deeply Segregated Communities

Friday, August 18, 2017
1 – 3 p.m.

UMMA Community Clinic
Fremont High School
7821 Avalon Blvd.
Los Angeles

(Free valet parking will be provided.  Please enter through 79th & Avalon St.)

This event will be livestreamed:

Once again I am proud to be joining Mothers in Action to host a FREE Back to School Health and Family Festival for children 5-15. 


This is the 19th year for this event and it keeps expanding.  There will be:

  • Health screenings immunizations (MUST bring immunizations records)
  • LAUSD whooping cough shots (mandatory)
  • School supplies (including backpacks)
  • Haircuts
  • more


Exposition Park

Christmas Tree Lane

3911 S. Figueroa Street

Los Angeles



Saturday, August 5

9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

View Flyer

National Night Out5 - 8 p.m.
Los Angeles Sheriff's Department Century Station

Plaza la Alameda
2140 Florence Avenue
Walnut Park

6 - 9 p.m.
Newton Police Station

St. Patrick’s Catholic Church
1046 E. 34th Street
Los Angeles

View Flyer (LA Sheriffs)+

View Flyer (Newton Police) +

View Flyer (Newton Police - Spanish) +



STEM Week - Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics workshops

I have partnered with the USC Viterbi School of Engineering on a FREE five-day STEM camp for students in South Los Angeles.

These workshops will expose elementary, middle, and high school students, as well as their parents, to actual STEM faculty and professionals.


For more information and to register for particular workshops, please click here.

The workshops will take place on the USC Campus from July 31-August 4.

If you have any questions, please call my office at (213) 744-2111.

View Flyer

commercial cannabisPlease join me for a town hall meeting on commercial cannabis.  State experts will provide an update and be available to answer your questions.

  • Chief Lori Ajax – Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation

Representatives from:

  • Go-Biz
  • CA. Dept. of Public Health
  • CA. Dept. of Food and Agriculture

Friday, June 30, 2017
10 a.m. - noon

Expo Center
Roy A. Anderson Recreation Center
Community Room, 2nd Floor
3980 Bill Robertson Lane (formerly S. Menlo Ave.)
Los Angeles

Free Parking in Lot 1

View Flyer

Please RSVP if you plan to attend.  If you need more information, please call my office at (213) 744-2111.