Youth Advisory Council Application
Seeking Applicants for the 59th District Legislative Youth Advisory Council
You have been personally invited to join the inaugural 59th District Legislative Youth Advisory Council. This cohort will consist of student leaders from all high schools in Assembly District 59. Our mission is "To encourage young people in the 59th Assembly District of California to actively participate in public policy and gain legislative experience to solve issues that plan for the future of our district and our state."
This opportunity will offer insights to local, state and national issues, yielding opportunities to potential career and educational paths as a public servant. Each session will focus on different issues aimed towards youth empowerment to develop the next generation of California leaders.
Should you choose to participate, you will have an opportunity to:
- Learn the legislative framework of writing a resolution and/or an Assembly bill
- Learn how to lobby, advocate, and support legislation
- Engage in deep, thoughtful, and productive conversation directly with the Assemblymember
- Offer feedback, recommendations and solutions to challenges facing the community The program will commence in October/November 2018 and will culminate with a graduation ceremony in May 2019.
How to Apply:
- Complete the attached Application and submit via email to Jacqueline Coto at email@example.com
- Include a 1-page single space Personal Statement
- Must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior at a high school in the 59th Assembly District (South Los Angeles, Huntington Park, Florence/Firestone and Walnut Park)
- Demonstrate leadership and active involvement at school or in the community
- Attend all meetings – approximately six times per year (3 during the Fall and 3 during the Spring semester)
- Act as a liaison between the Assemblymember, student body and community
- Provide own transportation to and from meetings. Times and location to be determined
If selected, you will be contacted for an interview. If you have any questions, please contact Jacqueline Coto firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-744-2111. Thank you.